My butt, January 2009

My butt,  January 2009
(who could miss it)

My butt, January 2010

My butt, January 2010
photos by Tom Peal

Welcome to You and All your Brilliant Parts!

In 2009 I lost 40 lbs and I got a new butt. How? Diet and exercise, that's the short answer. But all of the things I learned that made it emotionally possible, that allowed me to succeed when I had failed before - that will take longer. This blog celebrates the intelligence of the body. Please leave me a note to let me know what you think of this writing, if it's been helpful. I welcome your input and experience.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Day One



For the next three weeks your goals are to:
1.) replace less nutritious foods in your diet with more nutritious foods and choose some categories to eliminate this month
2.) reduce the total amount of food you eat every day and simplify your diet
3.) examine and refine your lifestyle for health
4.) read Pamela Serure's 1997 book 3 Days to Vitality and verify it with your own research

March 1 - the first day of my pre-pre fast.  


My diet isn't changing too much.  Since last year, I've been eating sensibly.

My husband Tom and I both work at home, so we often get to work before breakfast and eat around 11:00:  Steel cut oats, yogurt, fresh and dried fruit (dried raisins, cranberries sweetened with apple juice, and goji berries and fresh bananas), walnuts, flax seeds, flax meal, flax oil. This amounts to two cups of cereal in a bowl, and as you can imagine, it keeps me going a long time.   Liquid multi-vitamin, calcium and fish oil capsules, one aspirin.  We have everything ready because we eat the same thing every day - even when we're on camping trips (it's easy to make in a thermos and everything else is just storage.)  The routine is quick and mindless, and the food is consistently excellent because it's fresh and we use high-quality ingredients.  I also had white tea through the day.


Around 3:00 I started fixing lunch - cold weather food because it's chilly today - and we ate around 4:00: red lentil soup, baked winter squash, a little left-over pork loin that we split, fermented beet mix, cucumber and cabbage, fresh mung sprouts.  We try to fix some fresh food for the main meal most days; the ferments and sprouts are ongoing and take very little time.  No cheese with the soup, as I might usually have.  I've cut out cheese for the pre-pre fast.

Lunch is our main meal, which was an adaptation we made last year on the advice of Dr.'s Oz and Roizen.



So, at 6:02 I still feel quite satisfied and am only thinking about food because I'm writing about it.  This, by the way, is my reward for eating nutritious food that doesn't trigger addictions.  I'll probably get hungry around 7:30 or so.  If I go to bed at 11:00, I should eat no later than that time.

Today my pre-pre fast will consist of eating a very light dinner of apple and broth - separately.  It will be easy because I won't be all that hungry.  Tomorrow I'll probably feel the calorie deficit.

When I get finished with this post, I'll go do the Five Tibetans (see previous post), mainly because we couldn't get out for a walk on this rainy day.  I may do some yoga and mudras too.

Relax.  You know how to do this.  I'll keep writing - my friend Rebecca gave me the idea for an upcoming post: Hunger.  Oh yes, I'll get hungry.  There is great satisfaction in eating delicious, nutritious food when you're righteously hungry.  Anyway, I plan to lose about five pounds this month, and that means some of my little old fat cells will just have to go hungry and let go.  I want more space here in my corporeal environment.

Later, Jenni

P.S.  No, I don't plan to write out what I eat every day - what a bore - but I thought you might be interested in what the pre-pre fast looks like for me.  I'd love to hear what yours looks like.





2 comments:

  1. I started today with the Five Tibetans at 6:30am and breakfast at 7:30am with a 1/2 cup whole oats, 5 dates, sm. handfull of walnuts chopped mixed with 2 egg whites thrown on the griddle to form 2 pancakes. Topped it with plain greek yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I've never tried the oats&egg white pancakes! What a great recipe.
    Thanks for sharing, all the best, Jenni

    ReplyDelete