My butt, January 2009

My butt,  January 2009
(who could miss it)

My butt, January 2010

My butt, January 2010
photos by Tom Peal

Welcome to You and All your Brilliant Parts!

In 2009 I lost 40 lbs and I got a new butt. How? Diet and exercise, that's the short answer. But all of the things I learned that made it emotionally possible, that allowed me to succeed when I had failed before - that will take longer. This blog celebrates the intelligence of the body. Please leave me a note to let me know what you think of this writing, if it's been helpful. I welcome your input and experience.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pineapple - Papaya - Strawberry Drink


It's amazing how long this has taken to sink in.  Industrial processing of food, additives such as preservatives and emulsifiers, added nutrients to make up for nutrition lost in processing, even packaging - all of these things serve the producer.    Processing has as its aim making foods "safe" for a long transportation and shelf life.  So it serves the consumer, too, if the only way you can get food is to buy it packaged from a shelf.  But fresh is best.  Don't you rediscover that every time you fix fresh food for yourself?

Through my life, "food" has been what I buy at grocery stores.  Gradually, over the years, I learned to prepare some fresh foods in place of the processed ones I'd bought; for years I never would have thought to make tomato sauce, vegetable broth, bone a chicken or broil a tuna steak.

I'm thankful for the large variety of foods I'm able to get in my city - I have little to gripe about, that's for sure.  The truth is, all of the ingredients I need to fix fresh healthy foods are right out there in the produce, meat, dairy and other sections of my favorite grocery stores.

It wasn't until I went on Serure's juice fast for the first time that it occurred to me to make fresh juice.  Even then, it seemed extravagant.  But now I've gotten used to drinking fresh juice, I would hate to do without it.

Here's a great recipe I've adapted from 3Days to Vitality.  It's the morning drink you have each of the three days of the fast.  It's made in a blender, so even if you never get a juicer, you can enjoy it.  I fix this for Tom and myself between meals when we need a boost, or in place of breakfast or dinner if we've been eating heavily or I'm cutting back for my pre-pre fast.

Pinapple - Papaya - Strawberry Drink

Combine in a blender and process until smooth:
Equal amounts sliced fresh pineapple and papaya, 6 - 8 strawberries to fill blender for two large glass servings.  Four tablespoons flax oil.  Water to help process and thin to desired consistency.  Save unused portion in the refrigerator and consume it soon.

Add flax meal if you want to delay the processing of sugar in your body.  Add ice for an especially refreshing drink on a hot afternoon.  Add yogurt, milk, or soy milk for a protein boost, a more substantive meal replacement.  Substitute frozen or fresh blueberries for the strawberries.

Enjoy!

Later, Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment